|Robert Henry (Bob) Abplanalp (April 4, 1922, New York, New York - August 30, 2003, Bronxville, New York) was a Swiss-American inventor who invented the aerosol valve, the founder of Precision Valve Corporation and a political activist.|
Born to Swiss immigrant parents in The Bronx, Abplanalp graduated from Fordham Preparatory School in 1939 and studied mechanical engineering at Villanova University and ran his own small machine shop prior to entering the United States Army in 1943.
After fighting in World War II he worked in his machine shop where he invented the first workable aerosol valve that could be mass-produced inexpensively.
He began the Precision Valve Corporation in 1949, and, by 1950, 15,000,000 valves had been produced, marking the beginning of his business empire. In 1956 he married Josephine Sloboda.
Later in life he became a Republican and supported many conservative causes. Abplanalp was a close friend and supporter of former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon, Nixon's immediate family and Nixon's long-time confidant, Charles ("Bebe") Rebozo.
Abplanalp and his wife donated much to charities championed by the Roman Catholic Church and in 1971 they were named to two charitable orders, the Order of Malta and the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in recognition.
Before Abplanalp died of cancer on August 30, 2003, he held over three hundred aerosol-related patents.
|1922 - Born on the 4th of April in Bronxville, New York.|
1939 - He graduated from Fordham Preparatory School.
1943 - He ran his own small machine shop prior to entering the United State Army.
1949 - He began the Precision Valve Corporation.
1950 - 15,000,000 valves had been produced, marking the beginning of his business empire.
1956 - He married Josephine Sloboda.
1971 - They were named to two charitable orders, the Order of Malta and the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in recognition.
2003 - He died of cancer on the 30th of August in Bronxville, New York.
|Mr. Abplanalp won many honors, including the Horatio Alger Award in 1971, and made the Roman Catholic Church and its institutions the focus of his philanthropy. He was chairman of the board of Fordham Prep and rescued it from financial distress in 1978.|
He married Josephine Sloboda in 1956. They were named in 1971 to two charitable orders, the Order of Malta and the Order of the Holy Sepulcher.
SMOM by mention:
Social Network Diagram:
|ABPLANALP ROBERT H|
* Blumenthal,S. Yazijian,H. Government by Gunplay. 1976 (139-40, 146)
* Drosnin,M. Citizen Hughes. 1985 (311, 429, 443)
* Finder,J. Red Carpet. 1983 (208)
* Hersh,S. The Price of Power. 1983 (109)
* Lernoux,P. People of God. 1989 (301)
* McCord,J. A Piece of Tape. 1974 (43, 102)
* Mother Jones 1983-07 (23)
* Myerson,M. Watergate: Crime in the Suites. 1973 (102-3)
* Oglesby,C. The Yankee and Cowboy War. 1976 (37)
* Parapolitics/USA 1982-03-31 (33)
* Resource Center. GroupWatch 1991-SMOM (1)
* Sale,K. Power Shift. 1976 (220, 223)
* Summers,A. The Arrogance of Power. 2000 (108, 252, 261)
* Wise,D. The American Police State. 1978 (343)
pages cited this search: 23